Wednesday 22 February 2012

Double Page Spread Article Final Draft

Dan Hillier – UK’s Drum & Bass maestro is about to bounce back.

Dan Hillier is one of the UK’s most promising new stars of the drum & bass scene. We haven’t heard much from him for just over six months now. We got the chance to catch up with him recently, and took the opportunity to find out what he’s been up to.

Q. So, Dan, you’re back! Where have you been these past six months?
A. Yeah, I know! It’s been a long time! I’ve really missed this ‘wonderful’ (sarcastic) weather back here in England. I’ve spent the last two years going anywhere and everywhere. Some nice areas, and some not so nice areas, it’s good to be back in familiar places. I mean everywhere aswell; you name a place, I’ve almost certainly been there! Australia, Mexico, USA, Ibiza, France, Italy, Romania and even Japan! The list is endless...

Q. Wow, that’s a lot of travelling. What have you been doing in all those places? Partying, having fun, living it large?
A. Haha I wish! The only partying I’ve done is on my own in a hotel room with my iPod. I’ve been out trying to make a name for myself in places where people wouldn’t have heard of me, playing in some of the world’s best clubs such as Amnesia and Studio 54, and getting some inspiration for my new stuff. It’s been work, work, work.

Q. Sounds awesome! Your fan base will have increased hugely after all that. New stuff? Might there be a new album in the works? The hype around this will be crazy if this is the case!
A. Hopefully so, all of the work should hopefully pay off. And yep, there sure is! My last album had quite a good reception here in the UK, but I was quite disappointed with how it was received around the rest of the world, so hopefully this one will be a lot better. People have now seen what I’m all about and I’ve hopefully picked up a few new fans on my travels. This time I’m back and I’m gonna be bigger than ever, nobody can stop me now!

Q. You said you gained some inspiration from your travels. Where would you say was the best place to play and who/where has inspired your new material most?
A. The best place I have performed has to have been Amnesia in Ibiza. The place was live! And for an artist, it has to be Goldie. He has to be one of the most recognisable faces in drum and bass, and I’ve been listening to his stuff for as long as I can remember. It’s almost an aspiration to be as good as the legend himself. Hopefully I can use some of the stuff I heard all around the world and mix it with the classic style of Goldie. This album could be my best yet!

Q. Cool, I’m looking forward to it. Now, lets find out a little bit more about you. First of all, what do your parents think about the music you make?
A. Ok, sure, I’m up for that! Ah my parents... I can’t really say that they love drum and bass to be quite honest. I think they’re more into that music you get at those family birthday parties. But they’ve always been supportive of whatever I do, even when it doesn’t really work. Yeah, they’re cool I guess.

Q. What was the first record you bought?
A. To be honest it was nothing special. My mum got me Now 57 or Now 58. I can’t really remember, it wasn’t too good though. Once I’d started earning my own money, I think the first album I got was ‘The Fat of The Land’ by The Prodigy. Now that is one great album!

Q. What’s with the name? Not very inventive is it?
A. That’s the point. I want people to know me, not a persona that everyone else comes up with. I find all that stuff a bit cheesy. It’s my music, my name.

Q. What was the first gig you went to?
A. It wasn’t really a gig but back in the 90s my mate took me to see this drum and bass event at some club in London. Don’t ask me where, I have no idea. I wasn’t too keen to go so just went along to keep him company really. This turned out to be the place where I found my love for drum and bass. If my mate hadn’t persuaded me to go I guess I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in right now. Guess I owe him!

Q. What music would we find on your iPod?
A. Wow, a whole variety of stuff. I’m into everything really. Bit of Oasis, Two Door Cinema Club, Kanye West, Gorillaz, Tinie Tempah. Oh and all the other stuff you’d expect me to have; Nero, Chase & Status, Netsky, Sub Focus, Pendulum etc. You might even find a bit of Frank Sinatra on there!

Q. wow! With all that great music you must have a tasty sound system at home, right?
A. Haha you would think so wouldn’t you! All I have is this shitty little dock from Tesco. It hardly even works!

Q. And what would you say is your favourite album of all time?
A. Of all time!? That’s a big question, but thinking about it it has to be Chase & Status – No More Idols. Pure Class!

Q. Finally, what would you say to someone reading this interview who hasn’t heard of you before?
A. Get on the internet, search my name, listen to my music, spread the word!

Q. Cool, thanks for your time!
A. No problem, and remember, spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment