Monday 12 December 2011

Music Magazine Photo Research

To find out what sort of clothing I wanted my models to wear for the magazine photos I did some research into what people linked with the drum and bass / dubstep genre tend to wear.


Through looking at pictures of some well known artists such as Skream, Nero, Sub Focus and Chase and Status. From looking at these pictures you can see that they all wear quite plain clothes that aren't too formal, but aren't too casual. There is a clear style for the genre of music that will feature in my magazine so I will dress my model similarly. Most dubstep and drum and bass artists, however, are usually heard more than they are seen so I wanted to add something to my picture to make it seem like my magazine is trying to uncover these artists. I tried to add this feel into the picture I was going to use for my front cover so decided that my model should wear a hat, which is also loosely linked in with this genre of music. I think that this has made my picture suited to the genre of music and makes the front cover of my magazine look more realistic.


Here you can see the original (left) and the edited (right) versions of the photo I intend to use for the front cover of my magazine.
In Photoshop I selected my model using the magnetic lasso tool so that only he was edited. I then changed the brightness and contrast so that I had the right amount of lighting in my photo and then changed the exposure and offset in order to give the person some colour. I also left the background in desaturated which make him stand out. I have also used the spot healing tool to remove any blemishes on my model's face. After all of the changes I have made to the original photo, I now think that this picture will work quite well on the cover of my music magazine.


Here are some examples of other artists that feature in the gene of music that I am basing my magazine on:



<<< Chase and Status

Nero >>>











<<< Sub Focus

                Skream >>>







No comments:

Post a Comment