Thursday 15 March 2012

Evaluation Question 5

How did you attract/address your audience?


There are many ways that I have attracted my audience in my music magazine, including using conventions from existing magazines and adjusting them to fit in my magazine, using an appropriate mode of address that the audience can relate to and by using pictures that fully represent the genre of music that the magazine features on.


 The most obvious way that my magazine attracts my target audience is by the use of pictures. All of the pictures in my magazine are influenced by images I found of artists that people of my target audience would be influenced by. For example you can see that the picture on my front cover is very similar to the picture of the drum and bass DJ Goldie. Both my model and Goldie have a similar stance in the photo and are staring directly into the camera which almost gives an aggressive feel. This would be something that would attract my audience as the type of music my magazine focuses on runs on an almost aggressive vibe with there being lots of bass and fast beats. There is no sign of emotion on either of their faces which is something that is featured heavily with artist from this genre of music.


Another picture in my magazine that would attract the target audience is the one of my model using a mixing desk. You can see that it is similar to what is typically seen at concerts featuring drum and bass and dubstep artists as seen here, from a Nero concert, and is something that will attract my target audience.

One other way that I have attracted my target audience is through the use of technology. Through research on my target audience, I found that they are very heavily influenced by the use of new technologies and the internet. I kept this in mind when creating my magazine and included a QR code and offered digital downloads. This would attract my target audience as they would feel that the magazine is aiming exactly at them, incorporating features that they will feel comfortable using.



One final way that I have attracted my target audience is through the mode of address used in my magazine. My target audience wouldn't be expecting the text in a drum and bass/dubstep magazine to be completely formal, and through research on other double page spreads from music magazines similar to mine, I found out that most have a more relaxed, but not totally informal tone to them. This meant I was able to use a lot more speech with things such as exclamation marks and small amounts of swearing without it being too over the top, which it would be in other magazines. This mode of address would attract my target audience as it makes them feel like they are being talked to and not at. They can easily relate to the type of language being used in the magazine, and will feel comfortable reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment